Scudder Demolition completed a major demolition and façade retention contract at the University of Oxford. Ruskin College was initially constructed in 1913 and was extended on three occasions over the twentieth century. Scudder’s work entailed the full demolition of the unsightly building extensions, whilst retaining the original listed façade.
Scudder identified multiple site constraints during pre-contract planning, including working in an area close to the public and in a tight site footprint. Various measures were implemented to address these, ranging from dust suppression misters, noise and vibration monitoring and attaining licences to close the pavement and parking space access, ensuring that works did not affect either the local residents or through traffic.
Works included soft stripping and demolition using a combination of high reach machines, Brokk machines and hand demolition, with the recovered materials being crushed and reused to form the piling mat. The original façade has been held in place with the support of a temporary steel frame structure, installed using a 65 tonne capacity crane.