Since first opening its doors in 1983, the Carey Group’s Milton Keynes office has become a vital cog in the organisation, delivering a host of prestigious projects across central England. Employing 350 people, including a mix of industry specialists, with an annual regional turnover of £33m and is home to one of our in-house training academies.
Our history in Milton Keynes stems back further than the establishment of our office in 1983. The Carey Group were instrumental in the 1970’s ‘Milton Keynes Master Plan’ where we began our first contract in 1972 helping with the construction of 300 new homes in the town.
The office grew over the decades and was redeveloped in 2014 to create a more modern, agile work place and has not only delivered a range of local projects, but a series of high-profile projects across central England for a variety of high-profile clients:
- Delivering a multi-phase package of works at Gravenhill, Bicester which is currently the largest self-build construction site in the UK and when completed, will comprise 1,400 homes along with infrastructure and varying classifications of retail and entertainment structures in a £30 million contract.
- Working alongside Jaguar Land Rover on numerous projects across their estate, including Gaydon and Halewood. Recently securing a £7m scheme at their Whitley plant in Coventry which includes ground works and insitu concrete works for a new £100m R&D centre which will feature engineering workshops and laboratories, advanced powertrain facilities and the latest advanced design, visualisation and rapid prototyping technologies.
- Constructing roads with supporting utilities for a new residential development at Broughton Manor for Gallagher Estates, Milton Keynes, on a site which had previously been used as farmland.
- A new state of the art eight-storey building at 100 Avebury Boulevard, adding 140,000 sq ft of floor space to the Milton Keynes office market, as well as additional retail space for Galiford Try.
- Building 95% of the roads in Milton Keynes during the 1980s.
Six years ago, the Careys Civil Engineering Regional Safety Leadership Team identified a skills gap within the construction industry, from this our first training academy was formed at our office in Milton Keynes and is now one of several ‘centres of excellence’ that we have throughout the Group.
This well-established facility provides internal training for employees throughout the Carey Group. Operatives attending courses are trained by fellow Careys employees and supervisors and are then assessed to measure their competence.
Courses currently available at the training academy in Milton Keynes include:
- NVQ Level 2 - Utility Service Location and Avoidance
- NVQ Level 2 - Diploma in Ground Works Operation
- Health and Safety
- Black Hat Programme (fast-track supervisor training)
- Groundworks: an extensive history of delivering prestigious groundworks – including enabling and infrastructure contracts - to the highest standards of quality.
- Basements: long-standing expertise in the completion of a range of substructures and basements, successfully completing the design and build of both single and multi-storey basements for both residential and commercial developments.
- Concrete frames: extensive experience successfully completing some of the UK's most challenging superstructure projects. From high-rise buildings to our extensive portfolio of slipform and jumpformed structures, our teams ensure exceptional standards of safety and quality on all our projects.
- Civil engineering: a proven track record of delivering projects that enhance the built and natural environments, communities and infrastructure.
- Retail: a wealth of retail experience, gained from a 20-year relationship with Sainsbury’s, that includes construction of new stores, maintenance and development of existing retail property and construction of their store car parks.
The training academy has provided the Group with a valuable and unique learning tool, helping employees to upskill and ensure we become #BetterEveryDay.
The Milton Keyes office is also home to a team of skilled engineers and staff with a range of expertise that offer specialised services that includes:
The team at Milton Keynes live by our Group values of quality, integrity and loyalty, which are made clear from the way we work, the construction challenges we overcome and the solutions we engineer for our clients. Everything we do begins with the words on our Group banner - 'we care'. We care about our people and our clients and how we work with them, ensuring we do our best by them.