Careys Civil Engineering has been appointed principal contractor by The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC), which runs the Wimbledon tennis championships, to deliver 16 new grass courts at their Community Sports Ground in Raynes Park, South West London.
Located 3.5 miles from Wimbledon’s Centre Court, the 20-acre Community Sports Ground currently provides six grass courts and six acrylic hard courts - three of which are covered by an inflatable pressurised dome for use year-round – and is home to the Club’s Wimbledon Junior Tennis Initiative, ballboys and ballgirls training and a lively community tennis programme.
Our scope of works on the 66-week project is to redevelop the current grassland area to deliver 16 new Championships’ standard grass courts and 3 acrylic courts, the project includes:
- Construction of a new haul road
- Excavation works
- Installation of drainage
- Utility works
- Ring beam construction
- Installation of a harvesting tank
- Footpath resurfacing works
- Preparing the surface for Championships quality lawn tennis courts
- Acrylic tennis court construction including a new air dome and associated enclosures
- Winter sports pitches
Strict specifications for the courts to meet Championships standards have been set by AELTC. To ensure these are met we are working with the AELTC’s Head of Courts and Horticulture to implement specific measures that include:
- Identifying potential cross-contaminants during seeding of the courts
- Using mitigation methods such as dust netting
- Controlled cutting stations
- Assessment of wind direction to ensure no potential contamination from airborne construction dust
Once completed the new grass courts will further enhance the facilities available for the local community, as well as providing new grass courts which can be used by players before and during the championships.